Cruising and Navigation Association of New Zealand

Archive for October, 2014

Wind on Saturday

It was  a good call to cancel our cruise on Saturday.

The gusty winds lasted until Saturday evening,  and did NOT start easing until after 4pm Saturday— too late for us

 

image

 

In fact there was one very nasty squall that gave gusts to over 60 knots at Tiritiri at around 2pm Saturday – NOT what we would wish on anyone!

image

Even RNZYS cancelled the first race of the Commanders Cup on their “opening day”.

 

Bob McDavitt

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Advertisements

Kowhai Cruise….latest.

Hi All. With no sign of the very gusty winds dropping, we have decided to cancel  the Kowhai cruise this weekend and try again next weekend. Best regards, Chris.

Kowhai Cruise–weather

Latest Predictwind  has the next wind burst in middle of Saturday now, highlighted in yellow below (at  Rangitoto) clip_image002

so may be squally.

MetService treats this as “tending southwest 35, easing to 25 in the evening ” for Hauraki Gulf, and Predictwind has it as 30 easing to 20 at Rangitoto.

It should be good-to-go     once the wind starts easing, ETD (at this stage) around 2pm , and all of us to get to Opopoto Bay* by around 6pm

SO THE IDEA NOW is that we get ready to go, and communicate by cell phone and finally head off when squall has come and gone.

ALL THOSE WANTING TO COME — please reply email or contact basil at orr.co.nz ; lizchris at ihug.co.nz with your cell phone numbers to be in the loop ??????????????????????????.

Cellphones: Chris 022 025 3097  Bob 027 776 2212

*Opopoto Bay on Waiheke. This is the little bay between Onetangi and Thompsons Point.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< ><><><><><>><><>